People looking for a Halloween fright can find one

Halloween is creeping upon the country quickly. To feel the festive mood of this holiday, several local haunted houses and trails are now open for the Halloween season. Here is a list of locations for students looking for a night of fright:

USS Nightmare Located at the Newport Waterfront, this popular haunted boat tour is now more than 30 minutes long and offers a new “interactive Dreamulator.” Every Wednesday, students get $4 off the price of admission with a valid student ID. Regular admission is $12. USS Nightmare, 1 Madison Ave., (859) 292-2445. Hours: 7 to 11 p.m. Wednesday ‘ Thursday; 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday,; 7 to 11 p.m. Sunday. The Middletown Haunted Trail Guests who brave the haunted trail can also enjoy a new event introduced this year called The Temple of Terror. Admission is $10 for the haunted trail, $7 for the Temple of Terror or $15 for both events. Parking is an additional $2, but all parking proceeds are donated to the Madison Volunteer Fire Department Association. For directions, visit the website at www.middletownhauntedtrail.com. The Middletown Haunted Trail, 7747 Meyers Rd., (513) 423-9960. Hours: Open every Friday and Saturday from dark until midnight

Fearfest Paramount’s Kings Island is offering “fright by night, fun by day,” with family activities during the day and scarier events at night. Attractions vary from pumpkin decorating contests to haunted mazes and trails like the PsychoPath. Admission to Fearfest is free with the purchase of a single day ticket to the park at $24.99. Fearfest, 5688 Kings Island Dr. Hours: “Family-friendly” 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday ‘ Sunday. “Horror at Night” 3 p.m. to midnight Saturday, and 3 to 10 p.m Sunday.

The Haunted House The Dent Schoolhouse is celebrating its twenty-fifth anniversary as a haunted house and claims to be “Cincinnati’s frightful favorite.” Admission is $9, and there will be opportunities to donate to local youth charities at each event. The Haunted House, 5963 Harrison Ave., (513) 598-4600 Hours: 7:30 p.m.-unspecified time, Friday and Saturday; 7:30 to 10 p.m. Sunday

The Mt. Healthy Haunted Hall This location started over 10 years ago and has expanded to now include more rooms to explore and a haunted maze to navigate. Admission is $6, but visitors receive a $1 discount by donating a canned good. The Mt. Healthy Haunted Hall, 7700 Seward Ave., (513) 729-1974. Hours: 8 to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 7 to 9 p.m.Sunday

Loveland Castle Haunted Tours Haunted tours will be held every Friday and Saturday night in October, including Halloween night. Admission is $6. Loveland Castle Haunted Tours, 12025 Shore Dr., (513) 683-4686. Hours: 7 to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

Haunted Village The historic Heritage Village in Sharon Woods Park offers a haunted house and graveyard, a straw maze and carriage rides, among other things. Admission is $8. Haunted Village, 11450 Lebanon Pike, (513) 563-9484. Hours: 6 to 9 p.m. Friday; 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.