Campus briefs

Virus forces reconfiguration of campus network According to a newsletter produced by the Office of Information Technology, a new virus has infected NKU’s network to the extend where a configuration change is needed. The virus goes by the name of Novarg or MyDoom, and has the potential to cause network and computer slowdown. It is a worm that gives “backdoor” access to a computer’s files, without knowledge of the user. Any computer with the virus will begin transmitting information across the network, attempting to slow down network access. It will also use up processor time, which in turn will slow the computers. The virus typically arrives via email within an attachment. IT stresses that it is extremely important for students, faculty and staff who have the Norton Antivrius program to insure that is has the most current virus definition. Although the network configuration changes will help prevent further virus infection, it will affect many users. Anyone who accesses off-campus, third party email servers and uses a POP/SMTP client to send and receive emails will be affected in that they will be unable to send outgoing email messages. They will still be able to receive messages, however. IT reminds the campus that anyone with questions or concerns should contact the NKU IT helpdesk at 572-6911.

SGA welcomes new senators The Student Government Association appointed two students to the senate Feb. 2: