Lady Norse boost record to 11-4 with win over SIUE

EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. – Connie Myers scored 21 points and grabbed nine rebounds Saturday as the Northern Kentucky University women’s basketball team posted a 74-59 win over Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville in the Vadalabene Center.

Myers scored 17 points in the first half to help NKU build a 34-27 lead at the break. She finished 10-for-13 from the field and added two assists before fouling out late in the game.

“Connie is having an All-Conference season for us this year,” said head coach Nancy Winstel.

The Norse continue to have success without star sophomore Sharell Snardon, who has been absent from the team due to the death of her stepfather.

Since her absence, Myers has picked up the slack, averaging 21 points and 9.75 rebounds over the course of four games.

Elizabeth Burrows finished with 10 points, eight assists and six rebounds for NKU, which improved its record to 11-4 overall, and 6-3 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

The win also marked the 450th career victory for Winstel, who is 450-144 in 21 seasons at NKU.

This mark puts her in good company. She now ranks sixth among all active Division II coaches in total victories. She also ranks 18th among active coaches, with a .723 career winning percentage.

“We really battled out there,” Winstel said. “Our defense has become much better as the year has gone along.”

Karmen Graham added 11 points and five rebounds for NKU, which shot 53.7 percent from the field.

Jessica Brock finished with nine points and nine rebounds for the Norse, who won the battle of the boards by a 39-25 margin.

NKU used a 46-24 scoring advantage in the paint to roll past SIUE (8-9, 3-7 GLVC).

Tanya Guell led the Cougars with 15 points, but NKU limited SIUE to just 37.7 percent shooting from the field.

Karyn Creager added eight points and four rebounds for NKU. Nikki Perkins finished with four points and five assists.

NKU, ranked No. 22 nationally in the NCAA Division II poll, will play host to the University of Wisconsin-Parkside this Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in Regents Hall.

NKU knocked off Wisconsin-Parkside earlier this year with a 77-66 win at DiSimone Gymnasium. The Norse got 21 points from Snardon and 14 points from Nikki Perkins in that victory.

-Kyle Burch contributed to this article