Begala, Matalin, Woodward will speak at Regents

Northern Kentucky University will soon play host to three prominent political figures.

Paul Begala, Mary Matalin and Bob Woodward will speak at NKU’s Regents Hall on Thursday, Oct. 2.

Begala co-hosts “Crossfire” on CNN and was formerly a top adviser to President Clinton.

Matalin was an assistant to President Bush and a counselor to Vice President Dick Cheney.

Woodward is an assistant managing editor of The Washington Post and has written nine best-selling books. He is best known for his work in uncovering the Watergate scandal with fellow reporter Carl Bernstein.

Begala, Matalin and Woodward will discuss the topic “Governing in America: The President, the Press, and the People” as part of the fourth annual Alumni Lecture Series.

The Alumni Lecture Series has gained a reputation for acquiring well-known speakers. Last year’s event, for example, featured House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Democratic Party strategist James Carville.

“How many students would ever get a chance to see these people in person? These are household names,” said Shirley Raleigh, coordinator of Alumni Programs. “To see these people on our campus is neat.”

Although the student crowd is typically composed of political science majors,

Raleigh stressed that the event has something to offer for all students.

“In past years, (this event) has gotten great reviews from all students,” she said.

Although some professors require students to attend the lecture series, Raleigh said that most students attend of their own volition.

“People go because they really want to,” she said.

Nick Clooney, a Kentucky native and prominent local media personality, will emcee the event.

“Clooney has been a big supporter of NKU,” Raleigh said. He was also the emcee of last year’s lecture series.

The event will take place Thurs., Oct. 2 at 7 p.m.

There will be a student question and answer session with the speakers in Greaves Hall at 4 p.m.

Although admission to the question and answer session is free, tickets are still required and can be obtained from the Office of Student Life.

Tickets for the lecture are available at the Office of Alumni Affairs.

Admission is $5 for students, $25 for NKU alumni, faculty, and staff, and $30 for the general public. Tickets will also be available at the door.