Service to seniors can benefit NKU students

Students at Northern Kentucky University who are interested in giving back to the community can do so by volunteering their time to Senior Services of Northern Kentucky (SSNK).

SSNK, located in Covington, is the primary provider of a variety of non-medical services to senior citizens in the community.

According to the SSNK’s web page, it is also the only agency in this area to deliver “Meals-on-Wheels” to senior citizens who are unable to prepare meals for themselves.

SSNK is looking for students to volunteer as little or as much as they are able.

“Being a volunteer doesn’t mean making a huge time commitment,” said Sonya Turner, SSNK volunteer coordinator.

“Senior Services of Northern Kentucky offers many flexible one-time projects, like raking leaves or cleaning for an older person.”

There are also opportunities for students who are interested in volunteering more of their time.

“Volunteers who want to give a few hours per month can grocery shop, help with yard work, run errands or just visit,” Turner said.

“The elderly in our community love to tell their stories about growing up during the Depression, World War II and all their life experiences.”

Siddharth Munsif, a senior finance major, raked leaves this summer for an elderly woman.

“It was a fun way to get some experience with volunteering,” he said.

Munsif said it was a good experience for him because he plans to go to medical school after graduation.

“It was great doing community service and interacting with senior citizens,” he said.

Turner said that Munsif is a good example of how even someone who is very busy can find time to volunteer.

“By making a connection with older adults, volunteers are richly rewarded, knowing that they are truly making a difference in their lives,” Turner said.

Students who are interested in volunteering can contact Sonya Turner . She can be reached at 859-491-0522 or send an e-mail to Turner at sturner@seniorservicesnky.org.