Banquet: Lesson in hunger

“One out of every five people in the world lives on less than $1 a day,” is the hard hitting quote that the Activities Programming Board is using to promote their First Annual Meal of Fortune.

In collaboration with FSLC, Office of Student Life, First Year Programs and the Department of Sociology, APB is sponsoring this event on Thursday Nov. 20 from 4-6:15 p.m. in the UC Ballroom.

Stephanie McGoldrick, the APB adviser and program coordinator for the Meal of Fortune described it as an interactive banquet for the entire campus community.

“Students will walk away with a lot more than what they came with,” said McGoldrick who seemed to want to keep the actual event a secret to provoke curiosity and increase attendance.

In order to participate in the event, McGoldrick said that students should pick up a FREE ticket in the Office of Student Life UC 10 and also bring a non-perishable food item or hygiene product to the event. Seating is limited so get your ticket as soon as possible.

The event will address social issues that can help make a difference to fight hunger and poverty in the Greater Cincinnati area.

There will be four non-profit agencies that the products will be donated to and whom will also be attending the event: Welcome House, Brighton Center, Mary Magdalen and Be Concerned.

The interaction will “put you in the shoes of someone else for a moment in time,” said McGoldrick.

With the Holidays coming around, this event will be a great experience to participate and help less fortunate, McGoldrick said. Students can also learn how to volunteer after the event on a personally level.

By keeping the activities at the event a secret it will be “hopefully intriguing,” said McGoldrick. All she could tell us is that it will be interactive and the students will “walk away with something big.”