Summit goal was open discussion

To the editor:

In response to Joshua Groom’s letter, I would like to clear up several misconceptions.

As an alumni and former co-president and member of Common Ground, I support their decision to hold the Youth Summit at NKU and I support the university for allowing the event to take place.

Homosexuality is not a lifestyle. It is a life. It is becoming a cultural norm whether society likes it or not. For years, GLBTQ people have existed, quietly living their lives. Now they want to stand up and acknowledge their presence. The Summit is a chance for all people, not just gays, to come together and learn about the GLBTQ community as well as ways to support them.

Mr. Grooms asked, “Why is it important to create a safe space for homosexuals, bisexuals, and transgender youth to educate themselves?”

GLBTQ youth, in struggling against society, need a chance to get together and talk, share their experiences.

Homosexuality is not being put on a pedestal. It is being brought into the educational mainstream. By including high school students, the GLBTQ community is hoping to bring awareness of homophobic attitudes to the surface earlier.

Our society, currently, does not allow gay youth to feel secure in their lives. The Summit is a chance for them to have that security.

Homosexuality is a different way of life. By opening the doors for GLBTQ people, we are acknowledging their right to life. I know some people don’t want to acknowledge that right. However, we are not ignoring the rights of non-gay people. We are simply asking that gays be allowed to be.

If readers of The Northerner are interested, I encourage them to ask questions at Common Ground meetings. Common Ground also sponsors panels designed to clear up other common stereotypes and misconceptions surrounding the gay community. A university is a setting for learning and it is the perfect setting for the Summit.

Sarah Crabtree Alumni 2003 Former Co-President, CommonGround