Students shed light on racism

The seventh annual S.T.A.R. (Students Together Against Racism) Dialogue on Race will be held Thursday, Nov. 13, from 7-9 p.m. in Landrum 110.

The dialogue is based on Bill Clinton’s dialogues on race, said Brandon Hill, the vice president of the STAR organization. “It is a platform for this campus to discuss issues concerning race,” said Hill.

The discussions will be between various university organizations to educate each other and see what is affecting each one individually.

These different organizations will have a turn to stand up and speak with a session of questions and answers at the end of all of the presentations.

“The point is not to throw fire, but to shed light on the issues,” Hill said.

Hill also said that the dialogue’s main focus is to build healthy relationships between organizations, faculty, staff and students of the university.

The dialogue is to bring the race issues to the surface and to see what they are and how to talk and work on them.

They want to show students are emotionally connected and, “have a feel of urgency to make changes,” Hill said.

Some organizations that will take part in the event is the NAACP, the Black Men’s Organization and the Latino Student Union.

This event is free and open to anyone, including community members.

It is a chance for students to voice their feelings, thoughts and opinions on the subject, Hill said.