Skeet ‘ Trap Club working toward goals

The NKU Skeet and Trap team took first place at a regional meet at Kent State University last weekend. NKU beat out competition from the University of Kentucky, Purdue University and Kent State University. It marks the first time in history the team has finished a competition with a first place ranking.

“I am very pleased with our team’s performance,” said team Captain, Chet Kiser, “this year should be our best ever.”

Kiser was in top form, winning the American Trap, Doubles Trap, Wobble Trap and Sporting Clays individual events, and was awarded the high overall shooter for the competition. Craig Pace recorded his first ever, first-place finish in the American Skeet individual competition. These five individual victories, along with five first-place finishes in the team events gave the Norse a sweep of the tournament.

Other members of the team, are; Cary Hubbard, Matt Moher, Tom Kissinger, Tom Wilson and Paul Bob Sorrell. The competition serves as a warm-up for the second-biggest event of the season as the team travels to Purdue University, to take part in the Purdue, ’03 Fall Meet.

“The teams spirits are high after this (the Kent State) win,” said Kiser. “This should keep us shooting well, going into the Purdue Invitational.”

This is the fourth year the Skeet and Trap Team has been competing as a club sport at NKU. The team has approximately 30 members with the season consisting of 3 competitions each semester, concluding with the national championships in San Antonio in the spring. Kiser says this is what the team is striving towards, hoping to finish off the best season in school history.

“Hopefully we can finish third in the nation,” said Kiser. “We have the potential.”