Campus Briefs

Hewan, Fox News reach settlement on lawsuit

Northern Kentucky University professor Clinton Hewan reached a settlement with Fox News for an undisclosed sum, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported Sept. 25.

Hewan sued the cable news broadcaster in 2001 for publishing an article that he said damaged his reputation.

The settlement ends years of controversy over remarks that Hewan allegedly made at a 2001 NKU forum regarding Cincinnatian Timothy Thomas, who was fatally shot by Cincinnati police officer Stephen Roach.

SGA passes free speech resolution

The Student Government Association passed a resolution Sept. 21 recommending that the university not impede the students’ right to free speech on campus.

Trey Orndorff, SGA vice president of academic and student affairs, presented the resolution to his peers.

It is a symbolic gesture by SGA in support of free speech throughout the university.

Latino Student Affairs presents lecture series

On Sept. 24, the Office of Latino Student Affairs hosted their fourth lecture entitled “Governing in the Americas: The Impact of the Maquiladoras.” A panel of Hispanic professionals discussed the “maquiladoras,” or industries, specifically those along the U.S./ Mexican border, and their impact on the economy between the U.S. and Mexico. This was one of the first events to take place during National Hispanic Heritage Month, which runs 9/15-10/15.

Freshman named Player of the Week

Freshman Andrea Lanham was named the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) player of the week Sept. 23 for her performance on the volleyball team. Lanham tied for the GLVC lead in assists per game, and was ranked # 9 in the GLVC for service assists per game.

Students give back to community

The 2003 Combined Giving Student Campaign held its “Lunch for a Buck” on Sept. 24.

The student-led initiative also sponsors penny wars between NKU Greek organizations.

The campaign divides its proceeds between The United Way and Community Shares, a charity group which supports such programs as Planned Parenthood.

The campaign ends October 31, at which time the proceeds will be divided among the charities.