Month celebrates Latino heritage

We have approached the time to celebrate the rich Latino culture said Leo Calderon, coordinator of Latino Student Affairs. This time is National Hispanic Heritage Month.

Caldron says that Latinos are the majority of the minorities in the United States and it is important we have a well-educated Latino community. So, from Sept.15 until Oct.15, the Latino population of NKU will be celebrating their culture throughout the Greater Cincinnati area.

Caldron along with others, have organized a variety of events involving lectures and entertainment for the growing Latino peoples in the area.

There are two major events during the month. The first is having Dr. Pedro Noguera visit and speak at NKU and at other locations in the area.

“He is one of the best well-known speakers related to urban education,” said Calderon.

On Tuesday Sept. 30, Dr. Noguera will be speaking in Greaves Concert Hall. His first lecture will be for students, faculty and staff from 1:40 to 2:55 p.m.

He will speak again later that day from 8-9 p.m. on “Civic Engagement in our Communities: The Higher Education Challenge,” which will be followed by a book signing and a reception.

At the reception, you can get a little taste of the entertainers of the second major event, the Marimba Nandayapa.

The Marimba Nandayapa is the most recognized Mexican marimba band in the world. The Marimba will be performing Wednesday, Oct.1 from 8-9 p.m. in Greaves Concert Hall.

The Marimba band started playing 47 years ago and is a family band consisting of the father Zeferino Nadayapa who directs the other four members of the band, his sons. They are directly from Mexico and have performed all around the world.

There will be various events throughout the month .

For more event information contact Latino Student Affairs.