National Briefs

Army chaplain arrested

US Army Captain James Yee, a Muslim chaplain, was arrested Monday, Sept. 22 on suspicion of espionage, according to government officials.

Yee provided religious counsel to 650 alleged al-Qaeda detainees and advised base commanders on Muslim affairs at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Investigators confiscated a drawing of the prison facility and other confidential documents from Yee when he was taken into military custody on Sept. 10. No charges have been filed against Yee and military officials say an investigation is in progress.

Government to fund ‘faith-based’

organizations

The Bush administration announced new regulations Monday, Sept. 22 that will allow religious charities to compete for $28 billion in federal funding. The grants will be given to provide social services such as housing and drug abuse or mental health counseling.

Government officials say the funds will not be used to finance a place of worship. Civil rights leaders protest that the regulations are unconstitutional.

Hurricane hits the East Coast

Hurricane Isabel hit the East Coast Thursday, Sept. 18 with fierce winds and torrential rain that caused floods, death, and destruction of homes. More than 30 people died and millions of others lost power to their homes during the storm and its aftermath, which caused billions of dollars of damage to areas of North Carolina, Virginia, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and West Virginia.