Sports Briefs

Volleyball

NKU kicked off its 2003 Great Lakes Valley Conference schedule, by defeating Bellarmine 3-0 at Regents Hall on Wednesday.

The Norse dominated Bellarmine in the first two games winning in convincing fashion with scores of 30-18 and 30-17. The Norse completed the victory by beating Bellarmine 30-27 in the final game.

Kristin Koralewski tallied 14 kills and a .542 hitting percentage leading NKU to their fourth win of the season.

The victory continues a ten year winning streak over Bellarmine.

Women’s Tennis

NKU’s women’s tennis team continued its unbeaten season knocking off conference rival Southern Indiana, 7-2, Friday.

Elizabeth Brunsman got the Norse off to a good start by defeating USI’s number one singles player, Ashley Rees 6-0, 6-4. Brunsman also teamed with Becky Dister to defeat Reese and Audra Bartlett 8-5 in doubles action.

NKU went four for five in singles matches, with Brunsman, Dister, Renae Wright, Lyndsey England, and Jessica Smith all victorious.

On Saturday the Norse met up with Kentucky Wesleyan and continued their on-court dominance of the GLVC winning 9-0.

The Norse only allowed Wesleyan to win 5 games combined through the eight matches played.

The win puts NKU at 5-0 on the season, with four matches remaining before the start of the GLVC tournament.

Women’s Soccer

Freshman Amy Law led the way for NKU scoring three goals in a 6-0 defeat of Gannon University on Friday.

NKU out shot Gannon 18-2 in the game helping to improve their record to 3-1-1 on the season. Katie Hanck pitched in with a goal and an assist in the victory.

On Sunday the women met up with Mercyhurst and came away with their fourth victory of the season winning 2-0.

Law and Amy Martini, each scored second half goals providing the offense for the Norse. Goalie Sam Westerling recorded the shutout victory.