NKU helps out

With hectic work and school schedules, and homework, many students may not find time to lend a hand in community service. This weekend Student Life will make it a little easier for NKU students to give back to the community.

On Saturday, Sept. 20, Student Life will sponsor “Service on Saturday, A Day of Community Service” from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. This event is a chance for student organizations, students, faculty and friends to come together and help make a difference in people’s lives.

The volunteers will meet in the University Center TV lounge. Everyone will split into four groups to travel by NKU vans to the various sites, said Senior Katie Clark, student organization specialist for Student Life.

Clark and other organizers plan for the different groups to visit the Highlands Nursing Home of Ft. Thomas, The Brighton Center, Ronald McDonald House and the Krohn Conservatory in Cincinnati.

At the nursing home, the volunteers will entertain the elderly residents.

Participants going to The Brighton Center will make wreaths with the children in the Atrisk group.

At the Ronald McDonald House, the volunteers will make brunch for families and at the Krohn they will help with minor landscaping chores and help clean up the area.

After the day’s festivities, participants are invited back to NKU around 1 p.m. to share thoughts and pizza.