News briefs

SGA appoints new VP

Trey Orndorff was appointed vice president of academic and student affairs for the Student Government Association at the weekly meeting Sept. 8.

Chris Pace, president of SGA, said Orndorff went through a rigorous screening and interviewing process and was ultimately chosen because of his well-established working relationship with the campus community.

Orndoff carries a 4.0 GPA and was elected an SGA senator last year.

New senators join SGA

Three senate and two judicial council seats were also filled at the meeting. New senators include Lovingson Mtongwiza, Jennifer Perry and Hanna Gloyd. New Judicial Council members are Chris Whitworth and Dave Caddell, who was also appointed Chief Justice.

Funding for new road approved in Senate

U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning R-Southgate, announced that $1.5 million in federal funds to be used for a road connecting Interstate 275 with the AA Highway, was included in a transportation appropriations bill approved Sept. 4.

The road is part of the NKU master plan, providing an entrance to campus from the AA to help ease congestion as the campus grows. It is expected to aid economic growth in Northern Kentucky.

Computer virus still threat for some systems

Most of the NKU computers are now protected from the viruses that hit the network, causing problems for users Aug. 27, but the threat still lingers for any unprotected computers.

NKU Help Desk Manager Jeff Chesnut encourages NKU residents and those with home computers to visit the IT Web site for virus alert information and patches: www.nku.edu/IT.

Staff hiring freeze lifted

NKU President James Votruba lifted the freeze on staff hiring and the restriction on certain expenditures that were put into place Jan. 23, 2003. In an e-mail Sept. 5 Votruba urged the campus community to remain “mindful of the state’s financial condition…NKU may still face significant cuts,” Votruba said.

Students donate blood at Hoxworth drive

Thirty-four people showed up before noon to give the “gift of life” at the Hoxworth blood drive in UC Ballroom Sept. 9.

Head Nurse Barb Evans, R.N., said Hoxworth needs 325 units of blood per day to service 14 counties in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. While 65 percent of the population is eligible to donate, only 5 percent actually does, Evans said. “If all 65 percent gave once a year, we would never have a blood shortage.”

For information on donation visit www.hoxworth.org