OKI brings new artwork to campus

On Aug. 11, the main gallery of the Northern Kentucky University Fine Arts Center became the backdrop for the works of 22 different artists, in celebration of the 2003 opening of the Lois and Richard Rosenthal Center for Contemporary Art in Cincinnati.

The OKI: New Art exhibition at NKU is just one of many cultural programs included in the “Festival of the New”, a collaborative effort of the arts and cultural community to showcase new art and other cultural programs throughout the tri-state area.

“(The) main reason for this event is the art museum,” David Knight, director of exhibitions and collections, said. “We want to show what’s new in art and what’s happening in the art world.”

The artists successfully accomplish this feat by covering all aspects of different kinds of work, and different styles, Knight said. “Everyone will find something here that will appeal to them,” he said.

Visitors to the exhibit will see the wide variety of mediums used by the artists in the works hanging on the walls or lying on podiums placed strategically for the exhibition.

Some of the artists use photographs, in such a way creating the message or image they want the visitor to see.

“There’s more digital… they’ve altered the picture so that it changes how you look at the world,” Knight said.

Other mediums used include a magnetized velvet splashed wall that runs the length of the hall outside the gallery produced by Emily Sullivan.

The artists use these mediums, along with their personal creativity, to create a masterpiece that is different from the rest.

One such piece is a finger lying on the floor holding up a wooden house. That is correct, a finger. The artwork was created by local artist Kirk Mayhew and is known as “Fingerhut”.

Another interesting piece blows the other art out of proportion, literally.

“Hefty 2000” by Christopher Corbett is made with gallon garbage bags and is hard to miss as it fans across the expanse of one corner of the gallery.

OKI: New Art will remain open Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., through Sept. 26 for anyone who would like to visit. and celebrate the newness and diversity of art.