Freshfusion offers prizes, food, fun

Starting a new school can be scary at first: Unfamiliar faces, buildings that appear identical, and acronyms whose meanings remain a mystery.

This, and much more may be on the minds of many of Northern Kentucky University’s incoming freshman who might also be thinking they’ll never meet anybody.

There is one way to head in the right direction-attend Freshfusion.

“It’s a festive welcome for all new students with a carnival type atmosphere,” said Gennine Brewer, assistant director of admissions and the chairperson of the Freshfusion committee.

Brewer, along with the majority of the student organizations, will meet Thursday, Sept. 4, to share in this welcoming event. A pep rally will start at 5 p.m. in Regents Hall with an official welcome by NKU President James Votruba. Along with Votruba, there will be a few other speakers to give the students an overview of the campus and some clues on what to expect this semester.

After about an hour, the students will migrate to the University Center plaza where the games will begin.

The main plaza will be lined with tables and booths including wax hands, candles and caricatures. NKU’s different organizations will be there conducting games, giving out prizes and informing students about their organization.

“It is basically a recruiting tool for student organizations,” said Joe Myers, vice president of administrative affairs for the Student Government Association.

There will be free food and musical entertainment provided by Payola, the winners of last year’s “Battle of the Bands” competition.

Along with food and music there will be a show by the Norse cheerleaders, the dance team and also a step show perfomed by the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC).

The festivities will last until about 9 p.m