CAMPUS NEWS BRIEFS

New Space for Student Life

The new Student Involvement Center will open on campus later this semester, according to Dean of Students Kent Kelso.

The center is located on the ground floor of the University Center in the space formerly occupied by the Delta Airlines call center.

Construction of the center cost $60,000 and was funded from the University Center Reserve Fund. Kelso said the center will be a much-needed addition for student life at Northern Kentucky University.

New department chair for chemistry department

Dr. Diana McGill was named chair of the chemistry department this past summer. She is an alumna of Northern Kentucky University and Harvard University. Dr. McGill teaches Biochemistry I and a research course. Her area of specialization is in the “enzymology of proteins involved in ion homeostasis,” according to her website. Her professional accomplishments include numerous publications and involving students in research.

Biological sciences gets new interim chair

This summer, Dr. Debra Pearce was named interim chair of the biological sciences department.

Dr. Pearce has been teaching at Northern Kentucky University since 1976 and was named Outstanding Professor of the Year in 1992.

She received her bachelor’s and doctorate from the University of California-Davis in 1971 and 1976, respectively. Dr. Pearce is a past president of NKU’s Faculty Senate and the Kentucky Academy of Sciences.

Freshman programs see staff changes

Vicki Stieha was named director of First-Year Programs on July 1.

She replaced Fran Zaniello, who will now be a freshman specialist with the department. Peg Adams was named assistant director for the department.

New dorms dedicated

The new University Suites were dedicated on Aug. 27. Members of the campus community, along with residents, came out to celebrate the new addition to campus.