Admission policy to change in 2004

Next fall, Northern Kentucky University will impose more rigorous standards for admission of students. Students who apply to the university under restricted admission status will be less likely to be admitted than in the past.

Admissions officials say that students who apply to NKU with deficiencies in pre-college curriculum requirements and/or poor ACT or SAT scores will have a more difficult time enrolling. “What we have decided to do in the fall of 2004 is limit the number of restricted students we will admit to NKU,” said Director of Admissions Joel Robinson.

“We’re going to limit that number based on how many students we feel we can provide high-quality service to and ensure their success.

“I really think it’s not only the right thing for the institution but it’s the right thing for the students,” Robinson said.

“We want to make sure that, if you’re coming into NKU and you’re going to fall into that restricted category, that you’re getting the support that you need to be successful. So we’re going to limit that number,” he said.

Students who apply early will have the best chance for admission, according to Robinson.

“It will be important for us to get the message out to the community, to guidance counselors and to students that … it’s really important to apply early because spaces may fill up quickly, and that’s really going to be the key for those students: to apply early if they sense they’re going to fall into that restricted category,” Robinson said.

He said struggling students who apply early, attend Transitions early and get financial aid taken care of early will have a better chance of academic success, because when classes begin they will have fewer distractions and be better prepared to focus upon schoolwork.

“We really want to put these students in the best position possible to be successful,” said Robinson.

A committee of faculty and staff members, led by Interim Provost of Academic Affairs Dr. Jerry Warner, will determine the new standards.

Standards may include “baseline criteria: we’re looking at grade-point average, class rank, test scores, and if a student doesn’t meet a certain level of criteria, then that student may not be admitted,” Robinson said.

The committee will examine current university practices and then recommend new admissions standards to President Votruba, according to Robinson.

Robinson said NKU is no longer just an “access university.”

The mantra of the admissions department is now “access with the opportunity to succeed.”

He named Gateway Community College as an option for students who may not be admitted to NKU under the new policy.