What’s on students’ minds?

With another year coming to an end and summer right around the corner, NKU students are ready for a break. Most of us are finishing projects, writing papers and studying for exams. But what are students really thinking about? What’s on their minds? For some, just the anticipation of warm weather and lying by the pool is enough, but many students have other things concerning their hectic lives. The war, for example, is still a lingering issue for most people and everyone has some kind of opinion on it. Yet others are more worried about where their next job is going to be and how much money they can make this summer. Here is what some students said in regards to the semester, their classes, and the war, in addition to other thoughts on their minds.

Kelly Kitchen, Junior/Journalism “I’m worried about innocent soldiers dying…I feel misinformed about the whole thing.” “This summer I’m just going to work as much as I can and relax in the sun.” “I am so stressed out with school. I feel like it’s almost over, but I still have so much work to do.”

Brett Stevie, Sophomore/Education “Summer rules! But, I’m worried about where I’m going to get a job. I need to make more money.” “I don’t really care about the war. I don’t think we should be over there, but it doesn’t matter what I think.”

Erica Barricklow, Freshman/Political Science/Criminal Justice “Right now I’m thinking about dance team tryouts and getting my grades up-ending my semester on a good note.” “I’m glad things [the war] are getting over with. I hope we get out of it what we went into it for.”

Mike Steffan, Sophomore/Speech Communications “[I’m looking forward to] getting out of this semester alive, unfortunately though, I have to take a summer class.” “Right now I’m focusing on school and work and I’m going to try to make a trip out to Vegas [this summer].”

Jessica Zumbrum, Freshman/Undeclared “I’m not taking any summer classes and I can’t wait for the semester to be over. I’m going to Florida and hopefully some other places [this summer].” “I like NKU, but I want to get more involved.”

Keith Flynn, Freshman/Computer Science “I have some tough finals and I’m looking forward to the semester being over.” “I’m also looking forward to some music fests this summer.”

Ronika Taylor, Freshman/Criminal Justice “A lot is on my mind-my grades, making sure they are what they should be. I’m also considering if I should come back in the fall-since they are raising tuition.” “I’m excited about going back to Louisville and seeing my family [this summer].” “If you read the Bible, it tells you that war was coming. The world is coming to an end. It might not be today or tomorrow, but it’s coming.”

Leslie Dorris, Senior/Speech Communications “I’m graduating in May and starting graduate school at Louisville in the summer.” “I’ve been here for four years and part of it seems like yesterday, and part of it feels like I’ve lived here forever.” “You don’t have to agree with national policy, but you need to support our troops. Hopefully, the worst part is over.”