Week in Review

Pick of the Week: July for Kings “Swim”

“July for Kings,” has been around the Tri-state for many years and now they have the record that will launch a worldwide career. Their sound resembles the smooth music of bands like Matchbox 20. This album is full of spirituality that when you finish listening to it you feel refreshed. I don’t know what it is, the music or the message, but something makes you feel good when you listen to this album. I give these guys the upmost respect and hope to hear more from them in the future.

Gotta Have It: Norah Jones “Come Away With Me”

If you thought that only old guys could play the piano with passion , think again. Norah Jones has proven that a piano can be an instrument for anyone. A classically trained pianist and a jazz musician by trade, Norah Jones fought through the stereotypes of modern pop music and gave us an old friend back. This album pulls at your heartstrings from beginning to end. It makes you happy and it makes you cry, it gives you a rush of hope and the weight of despair, but anyone who listens to it will enjoy every moment. If you don’t believe me take a look at her mantel. The last time I checked, those were Grammy’s.

Old School Pick: Eric Clapton “MTV Unplugged”

This is one of the greatest albums in the music period. Originally, the idea was to have Clapton do an “Unplugged concert,” to play his greatest hits. Instead, what they got was Eric Clapton raw and vulnerable. His versions of “Layla” and “Tears in Heaven” drew tears not only in his eyes, but the audience as well. This album gave all of us a glimpse at the man behind the guitar; a man of emotion and substance, a man lost and looking for a way home. This is a testament to a great rocker and his emotions. I believe that everyone should own this album.