Small crowd , big laughs at comedy show

There weren’t many people in attendance, but the laughter that rang through Regents Hall Thursday night sounded as if it was a sold out show.

“We could have held this thing in the library,” said Sylvia, one of three comedians at the Urban Comedy Tour, commenting on the small crowd.

The Activities Programming Board (APB) organized the comedy show through Roosevelt Johnson Enterprises (RJE), a company servicing the country with a list of hot and prestigious entertainers.

Right now RJE is promoting this urban tour at numerous universities throughout the country, and NKU was one of their stops.

From BET’s Comic View, the tour brought Miss Sylvia, Lav Luv and the headliner, Leon Rogers.

Sylvia has been doing stand-up comedy for about four years now.

“I wrote five minutes and did it,” said Sylvia about her start in the comic world. “I went to a lot of open-mic nights and went from there.”

Rogers is from Chicago and has been doing stand-up comedy for about seven years.

He performs three to four times a month, and more if possible. Although he says that it’s difficult, he loves what he does.

“Yeah, it was really fun at first, but now it’s hard. It’s hard work,” said Rogers.

When asked what brought him to NKU, Rogers didn’t hesitate in saying with a laugh, “Money. I’ll go wherever a check is.”

From start to finish, the three performers had the crowd going wild. Sylvia opened the show and got the audience warmed up before introducing Lav Luv, “one of the best dressed comedians on tour right now,” according to Roosevelt Johnson, the tour promoter.

Lav Luv stepped on stage with his three-piece, royal blue, suede suit and awed the crowd with jokes from relationship pointers to politically correct issues.

Rogers’ jokes about Eminem needing a hug to his thoughts on how prisoners should really be treated on death row made for a sidesplitting show.

“It was hilarious,” said freshman Michelle Posey. “I would definitely come back again.”