Alcohol a problem on college campuses

Northern Kentucky University students can learn important information on how alcohol can affect their lives on April 10, 2003, National Alcohol Screening Day.

Did you know . . .

1,400 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die each year from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor vehicle crashes.

500,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are unintentionally injured under the influence of alcohol.

More than 600,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.

More than 70,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are victims of alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape.

400,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 had unprotected sex and more than 100,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 report having been too intoxicated to know if they consented to having sex

Alcohol is a significant problem on college campuses and it is important for students to know about the upcoming National Alcohol Screen Day.

As part of the program, students can complete a brief, written screening test, receive educational information and talk one-on-one with a mental health professional – for FREE.

Readers can attend this free screening on April 10th in the UC lobby from 9:00 until 4:00. Information about alcohol prevention can be found at NKU’s Health, Counseling and Prevention website, www.nku.edu/~hcp/.

Come join us in promoting healthy choices at NKU.