Lady Norse play Washburn in Elite Eight

The Northern Kentucky University women’s basketball team will face Washburn (Kan.) University at 4 p.m. (EST) on March 26 in the NCAA Division II Elite Eight, which will be played in the St. Joseph Civic Arena at St. Joseph, Mo.

NKU is 24-7 after capturing the NCAA II Great Lakes Region championship on March 17 with a come-from-behind 64-61 victory over Quincy University. It marked the fourth time in the past five years that NKU has advanced to the NCAA Division II Elite Eight.

The NKU/Washburn winner will face the survivor of the California (Pa.) University (32-1)/University of North Florida (20-11) contest at 7 p.m. March 27 in the national semifinals. The NCAA Division II national championship game will be played at 6 p.m. March 29.

Tournament passes are $30 for premium seating and $25 for general admission. Day passes for the quarterfinals are $25 for premium seating and $20 for general admission. Day passes for the semifinals are $15 for premium seating and $12 for general admission.

Tickets for the championship game are $12 for premium seating and $10 for general admission. Contact the NKU Athletics Department at 572-6632 or 572-5193 for more details.

BACK AMONG THE ELITE ONCE AGAIN: In 1999, NKU advanced to the Elite Eight and defeated Indiana (Pa.) before losing to Arkansas Tech in the national semifinals. NKU won the 2000 NCAA Division II national championship with a 71-62 overtime victory over North Dakota State University at Pine Bluff, Ark.

A year ago, NKU dropped a 68-67 decision to South Dakota State University in the Elite Eight at Rochester, Minn.

STIRRING COMEBACK: On March 17 in the NCAA II Great Lakes Region championship game, Bridget Flanagan’s basket with 22 seconds remaining snapped a 61-61 tie and lifted NKU to a 64-61 win over Quincy. NKU – which trailed by 16 points early in the second half – used a 19-2 run to take a 40-39 lead on a three-pointer by Amy Mobley with 12:25 remaining. Quincy eventually took a 57-52 lead with 3:32 left, but NKU used a 9-4 spurt to tie the game at 61-61 on a layup by Mobley.

After a Quincy turnover with 53 seconds left, Flanagan missed a jumper that was rebounded by Mobley. Her short stick-back attempt rimmed out and was rebounded by Flanagan, who powered her way for the go-ahead basket with 22 seconds remaining.

Mobley intercepted a Quincy pass in the paint on the Lady Hawks’ next possession and found Jessica Brock streaking the other way. Brock was fouled with nine seconds left and converted one free throw to extend NKU’s lead to 64-61.

Quincy called timeout with 5.5 seconds left to set up a three-point attempt, but Tiffany Kelver’s running shot from beyond the arc bounced off the rim.

Mobley finished with 19 points, five steals, nine rebounds and five assists. Kristin Polosky added 13 points for NKU, which trailed 36-21 at halftime. Connie Myers added 11 points and six rebounds for the Norse.

MOBLEY MOST OUTSTANDING: NKU senior forward Amy Mobley was named the NCAA II Great Lakes Regional’s most outstanding player after averaging 17.3 ppg in three Norse victories. Mobley enters the Elite Eight leading NKU in both scoring (15.6 points per game) and rebounding (6.6 rebounds per game).

A second team All-Great Lakes Valley Conference performer this season, Mobley currently ranks No. 9 in Norse history with 1,370 career points. She has connected on 52 of 126 three-point attempts this season and ranks No. 2 on the team with 128 assists.

FLANAGAN SETS THREE-POINT RECORD…AGAIN: NKU senior guard Bridget Flanagan has set an NKU single-season record for three-pointers made with 88. The previous record was 81, set by Flanagan last year.

Flanagan, a second team All-GLVC selection, averages 14.0 ppg entering the Elite Eight. She is NKU’s all-time career leader in three-point field goals with 246.

SNARDON NAMED ALL-TOURNAMENT: NKU freshman forward Sharell Snardon missed NKU’s win over Quincy in the finals, but her performance during the first two rounds of the NCAA II Great Lakes Regional earned her a spot on the All-Tournament Team.

Snardon averaged 14.5 ppg and 10.5 rebounds in the first two contests, but she suffered an injury late in the game during NKU’s 66-57 win over Indianapolis and was forced to sit out against Quincy. Snardon – who has scored in double figures in seven straight games – averages 9.6 ppg.

POLOSKY PASSES 900 CAREER POINTS: NKU senior forward Kristin Polosky enters the Elite Eight with 920 career points. Polosky leads NKU in both assists (131) and blocked shots (45), and she averages 9.5 ppg and 5.1 rpg. She has also made 32 three-pointers this season.

NKU ALL-TIME IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT: NKU owns a 17-12 all-time record in the NCAA Tournament.

ABOUT WASHBURN: The Lady Blues enter the Elite Eight with a 30-3 record after winning the NCAA II South Central Region title. Washburn won the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association championship this season.

Washburn features senior All-America candidate Crystal Walker, who averages 16.5 ppg and 7.0 rpg. Walker, a forward who was named the most outstanding player of the South Central Regional, is also shooting 80.8 percent from the free throw line.

The Lady Blues also feature Carissa Goeglein, who is scoring 12.8 ppg. Washburn is also holding the opposition to just 37.5 percent shooting from the field.