Alford indicted on marijuana-trafficking charges

The former president of the NKU Foundation was indicted by a grand jury Thursday on charges of trafficking marijuana.

James Alford, 52, faces jail time up to ten years if he is found guilty.

His arraignment is set for this Friday.

Alford is charged with trafficking marijuana within 1,000 yards of a school, which carries a sentence of up to five years. A gun was also found in close proximity to the marijuana during a search of his home, which carries an additional five years in jail.

Alford was arrested Dec. 19 at his home in Highland Heights, after Highland Heights police and the Northern Kentucky Drug Strike Force found over eight ounces of marijuana, baggies, scales and a .38-caliber pistol in his home during a search.

As President and CEO of the NKU Foundation Alford was responsible for managing daily operations of the Foundation, which collects and invests private contributions to the University.

Following his arrest he was suspended indefinitely from his duties and subsequently resigned.

In the wake of Alford’s arrest, the Foundation authorized an independent accounting firm to conduct a comprehensive audit to make sure all assets had been managed well.

Henry “Bud” Pouge IV, the Foundation’s Vice President, is now serving as President.

A search committee is currently compiling names and contacting potential candidates to permanently fill the President’s position.

Pouge has said an announcement about Alford’s replacement could be made by May 22 at the Foundation’s Board of Directors meeting.