Herschede involved on campus

A senior majoring in business management and political science, Katie Herschede, has served on many committee’s and activities throughout her college years including president of Student Government Association, NKU Board of Regents- Student Regent, Board of Student Body Presidents, Norse Leadership Society, Activities Programming Board, as well as Phi Sigma Sigma Sorority. She was elected Homecoming Queen this year, announced during the men’s basketball game last Saturday. To many among the campus, Herschede is more than just a popular college student that has held numerous positions. She is well-respected and seen as a role-model. According to Maribeth Carskadon, admission counselor at the office of admission said that Herschede is very helpful and friendly. “She always chips in to help out at the front counter with questions [at Admissions],” Carskadon said. She also served as Omicron Delta Kappa, Order of Omega, Golden Key National Honor Society, Team NKU, Presidential Ambassadors, Student Life Ambassador Team and Norse Force. She is also involved in NKU’s United Way Campaign and its mentoring program. “A leader, popular, well-known, very intelligent,” Leshauna Persley said describing Herschede. “She is always involved in campus events. Either she’s involved in them or she helps out with the events. She is always busy.” Herschede is an all around scholar, she is a Presidential Scholarship recipient and has received numerous honors while being a student at NKU, including Outstanding Leader (2002), Junior (2002) and Sophomore (2001); Presidential Ambassador’s Distinguished Service Award; Presidential Ambassador’s Outstanding Participation; SGA’s Norse Award; SGA’s Attendance Award for 2001 and 2002; SGA’s William Lamb Leadership Award; Student Life Ambassador Team – Outstanding Service Award; Panhellenic Grade Point Average; and Order of Omega Fealty (Service) Award. She is also a Kentucky Colonel and a Kentucky Admiral. “She’s very knowledgeable, not only about the university, but, about government and legislature issues also,” Carskadon said. Moreover, Persley said that Herschede contributes to the campus by providing more organization, she gets her work done and she keeps the school informed with issues that benefit the students. “She keeps us aware of the things we may not know of,” Persley said. Herschede also volunteers her services to community outreach programs including: working with the National Kidney Foundation Walk for Life, Sports Buddies Program, Channel 48 Action Auction, NKU Women’s Walk, Make a Difference Day, Zeta Phi Beta Campus Clean-up, Devou Park Boy’s Home Christmas, tutor for underprivileged children and Kids Vote 2000. “I respect Katie a lot. I respect her for doing what she does, she makes herself accessible to students,” Carskadon said. Herschede was not available for comment because she is currently preparing for

The March on the Capital, Feb. 27.