Indy too much for Lady Norse

Erin Moran scored 27 points Saturday night as the University of Indianapolis women’s basketball team captured the Great Lakes Valley Conference regular-season title with an 85-75 win over Northern Kentucky University in Regents Hall.

Amy Wisser came off the bench and added 26 points as the Greyhounds improved to 23-2 overall and earned the No. 1 seed in the upcoming GLVC Tournament. Indianapolis, which has won 11 consecutive games, is 16-2 in the GLVC.

Indianapolis swept the season series with NKU to wrap up its first GLVC championship since the 1992-93 season. The Greyhounds are also ranked No. 1 in the latest NCAA Division II Great Lakes Region poll.

NKU, which had won 17 consecutive games in Regents Hall going into the showdown with Indianapolis, dropped to 19-5 overall, 14-4 in the GLVC. Before Saturday’s game NKU was 13-0 at home this season and had not lost in Regents Hall since Jan. 19, 2002.

Moran scored 16 points in the first half as Indianapolis took a 41-38 lead at the break. The Greyhounds started the second half by making six of their first eight shots and built a 60-47 lead with 12:45 remaining in the game.

NKU rallied and sliced the Indianapolis lead to 73-67 on a layup by Amy Mobley at the 6:20 mark. Indianapolis, however, used a 9-2 run over the next four minutes to build an 82-69 advantage. Wisser scored eight points to key the Greyhound spurt.

The Greyhounds – ranked No. 13 nationally in the NCAA Division II poll – shot 55.6 percent from the field and made 8 of 15 three-point attempts. Indianapolis hit 64 percent of its shots from the field after halftime.

Mobley scored 22 points to lead NKU, which is ranked No. 21 nationally in the NCAA Division II poll. The Norse shot 54 percent from the field, but converted just 14 of 28 free throws.

Bridget Flanagan scored 16 points for NKU, and Sharell Snardon finished with 12 points and seven rebounds.

The Norse will close out the regular season next week with road games at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside (Feb. 27) and Lewis University (March 1).

Articleby Sports Information