Norse rally from 14 down to win

QUINCY, Ill. – Amy Mobley scored six of her 15 points in the final three minutes Saturday as the Northern Kentucky University women’s basketball team rallied for a 71-63 win over Quincy University at the Pepsi Arena.

Quincy jumped out to a 30-16 lead in the first half as Amber Dvorak scored nine points off the bench. NKU, however, used a 23-10 run to slice the deficit to 40-39 at halftime.

Tracy Grapenthin hit a three-pointer with 5:37 remaining in the game to give Quincy a 61-59 lead, but NKU responded with a 10-2 run to take a 69-63 advantage. Mobley scored six points to key the NKU spurt.

With the score tied at 63-63, Mobley grabbed an offensive rebound and was fouled. She made both free throws to give the Norse a 65-63 advantage with 2:56 left in the game.

After Tiffany Kelver missed a short jumper, NKU’s Kristin Polosky hauled in the rebound. Mobley then gave the Norse a 67-63 lead with a driving layup, and Quincy – which did not hit a field goal during the final 5:37 of the game – never threatened again.

The Lady Hawks, in fact, did not score during the final 3:15 of the game.

Connie Myers added 12 points for NKU, which improved to 16-4 overall, 12-3 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. The Norse also claimed sole possession of second place in the GLVC standings with the victory.

Quincy, which dropped to 17-5 overall, is 11-4 in the GLVC and in third place in the conference. NKU held Quincy to just 28.1 percent shooting from the field in the second half, and the Norse made 50 percent of their shots from the field after halftime to pull out the road victory.

Polosky and Elizabeth Burrows each added 11 points for the Norse, who are ranked No. 18 nationally in the NCAA Division II poll. NKU now holds a 15-1 lead in the all-time series with Quincy.

The Norse will return home and play host to the University of Southern Indiana at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in Regents Hall.

Article by Sports Information