The games you wish you found under your xmas tree

Ah, a new semester is upon us. So, it’s back to classes and the grind of every day life here at NKU. But the only problem with this is you are still in break mode, and all you want to do is have some fun and maybe even play some games.

The beginning of the Spring semester also means that Christmas has already passed us by.

With that you may, or may not, have received everything that you wanted to find under the tree or in your stocking. But fear not, I am here to help. I have compiled a list of games and gaming accessories that you wish that you had received, and some that maybe you didn’t.

First up is the Playstation 2:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

This is the fourth installment in the GTA series, and is quite possibly the best. With its 1980’s setting and music, think Miami Vice with a little more attitude, is a great and fun game to play.

Dragonball Z: Budokai

Fans of Dragonball Z rejoice, the series finally returns to the console gaming world. It looks much more detailed than its predecessor, Dragonball GT Final Bout, and from reports it plays better as well. Get your senzu beans ready to battle, or play as, the strongest fighters in the universe.(see full review this issue.)

Robotech Battlecry

The anime that started the craze in the United States is back again in video game form. Fans and gamers can cheer and enjoy Robotech again. And on a side note, the entire Robotech series is available on DVD.

SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals

For those of you who have online access, then you wish you would have received this game. You play as a Seal team going on covert missions, and blowing stuff up at your discretion. The only bad thing is having a weak link on your team, and not being able to slap them in the face because they are thousands of miles away.

Next up is the Nintendo Game Cube:

Phantasy Star Online

Episode I ‘ II

Featuring the original Dreamcast version of Phantasy Star and a whole new game. This is a must have game, and it should have been on your Christmas list. This game will become even more fun once the GameCube goes online.

Mario Party 4

If you are into group action (insert your own joke here) then this is the game that you should have received. You and up to three friends can battle in numerous mini-games as well as things like collecting coins and stars to become the ultimate Party Star.

Metroid Prime

If you were hoping to find a challenging game, then look no farther than right here. Say welcome back to everyone’s favorite bounty hunter, Samus Aran. This game plays like Doom, but 20 times better. And if you have Metroid Fusion for the Gameboy Advance you are treated to special link features, the best is getting to play the original NES version of Metroid.

Medal of Honor: Frontline

Fans of the Medal of Honor series probably already have this, but here’s a little known fact for those who haven’t played it, it’s good. If you like espionage and war games then you really wanted to get this title. WWII buffs will also enjoy this, because that is the setting.

Next up is the Xbox:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

What more can I say, it’s Metal Gear Solid, that should be enough said, but I, however, like to run off at the mouth so here is a description for you. This game is a deluxe remake of the PS2 version, but you can now play as Solid during the main game. Also added are mini-games, special missions and skateboarding., No, really, I’m not lying about the skateboarding.

Finally is the Gameboy Advance:

Castlevania:

Harmony of Dissonance

This is more of a sequel to Symphony of the Night on PS1 than Circle of the Moon, but it is an awesome game. Prepare to spend countless hours exploring Dracula’s castle. The graphics are easy on the eyes and this is a great game for gamers on the go.

The Legend of Zelda:

A Link to the Past

This game is pretty much a direct port from the addicting SNES version. But this game is good enough to play again and again. The game also features a four player battle or co-op system, so you can link up your GBA’s and lay the old school smackdown on your buddies.

Games you don’t want

As a side to this story, I have included a short list of games that if you got or ever get these, you will know that the gift giver really hates you.

Mortal Kombat Advance

What a stinker, and I’ve played some stinky games. This one almost makes me hate every MK game ever made. But at least there were some good ones in the series.

Any Mary-Kate and

Ashley Olson game

If you got any of these for a gift then you might as well jump off of a bridge, because everyone in the entire world hates you. I mean the twins are bad enough just being on television, but in game form they are worse. Yes, I have played the games, I do have a little sister after all. But when I was finished playing I wanted to jab my eyes out with a red hot fireplace poker.

I hope you find something you like on this list and I hope you enjoy it. I also hope you got what you wanted. If not get those receipts, exchange those clothes for cash and get your game on.