No. 1 Norse eyeing GLVC Tournament Championship

WILDER, Ky. – Stephanie Sandfoss, Bessie Black and Michelle Kelly scored goals Sunday afternoon as the Northern Kentucky University women’s soccer team defeated the University of Indianapolis, 3-0, in the first round of the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament at the Town & Country Sports Complex.

Sandfoss opened the scoring for NKU at the 29:16 mark by slipping a shot past Indianapolis goalie Maggie Miller. It was the 14th goal of the season for Sandfoss, who leads the GLVC in that category.

Black and Kelly added second-half goals as top-seeded NKU improved to 17-0-2 overall and advanced to the GLVC Tournament semifinals at 6:30 p.m. this Friday at the Town & Country Sports Complex. It was the 11th shutout of the season for the NKU defense, which limited Indianapolis (7-11) to just two shots.

The Norse will play either Quincy University or the University of Wisconsin-Parkside in the semifinals. The GLVC championship will be played at noon on Nov. 10. NKU, which is ranked No. 1 nationally in the NCAA

Division II poll, has never lost (11-0 all-time) in the GLVC Tournament.

NKU is 38-0-4 in its last 42 matches against GLVC teams. The Norse have not lost to a GLVC opponent since Oct. 9, 1999, when Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville posted a 3-1 win over NKU.