Men’s Soccer season ends with back-to-back road losses

KIRKSVILLE, Mo. – The Truman State University men’s soccer team built a 2-0 halftime lead Saturday and held off a late Northern Kentucky University rally to post a 3-2 victory over the visiting Norse.

Bryan DeFoe and Sean Birrell scored goals in the first half to give Truman State (11-4) a 2-0 lead. NKU’s Jeff Anderson found the back of the net for NKU at the 62:07 mark to cut the deficit to 2-1, but Truman State’s Kevin Barry responded with a goal two minutes later to give the Bulldogs a 3-1 advantage.

Joaquin Palomeque converted a penalty kick at the 82:29 mark to slice Truman State’s lead to 3-2, but the Norse were unable to score in the final seven minutes. Truman State is ranked No. 25 nationally in the NCAA Division II poll.

Fernando Berardo and Rhodri Payne both scored goals Sunday afternoon as the Rockhurst (Mo.) University men’s soccer team defeated Northern Kentucky University, 2-0.

Luke Denney posted the shutout for Rockhurst (14-2), which is ranked No. 15 nationally in the NCAA Division II poll. NKU finished the season with a 6-10-2 record.

The Norse pounded Kentucky Wesleyan College, 6-0, on Oct. 27, but were eliminated from GLVC Tournament contention as a result of a loss to Bellarmine college , 3-1, on Oct. 25.