Halloween brings kids and Greeks together

Brittany Contois/

Greek organizations came together to host a Halloween Carnival for young children on Northern Kentucky University’s campus Oct. 23.

Many children attended, tossing bean footballs, shooting hoops, making candy bags and also getting faces painted with different Greek members at different booths set up by several sororities and fraternities. Faculty and staff members brought their children to hear the music and see the fun costumes.

Chris Frodge, junior, Journalism, said the Halloween Carnival was a huge success and he was pleased with the large amount of participation by the Greek organizations. Frodge was also happy to see the Greek organizations had a lot of booths as well as candy.

The Halloween Carnival was a Greek Week Event. This philanthropy event raised money and items for the Children’s Crisis Center in Kenton County, which is slated to open in January of 2003, said Frodge.

“It was neat to see various Greek organizations come together for a common purpose,” Frodge said.

Chad Schallick, senior, History, said, “It was a positive experience to be able to help younger children and give them the opportunity to see a college campus.”

Phi Beta Sigma members had a booth full of candy which were prizes for the children who tossed balls into cups.

“I enjoyed helping kids in the community and trying to provide a safe environment,” Michael Wade, sophomore, Psychology, said.

Samantha and Bill Brown brought their entire family. Their daughter Edie, who was dressed up as Winnie the Pooh, played many games. Bill Brown, a Campbell County 911 Dispatcher, was pleased with NKU and said he wished the university would hold more events like the Halloween Carnival where kids have a safe place to have fun. He also thought his daughter should receive a basketball scholarship because she played so much basketball with Chris Neal and Tom Kelly, members of Tau Kappa Epsilon.

“It was fun to see the kids have fun,” Jon Winstel, sophomore, History, said.

Jamar Mack, sophomore, Pre Elementary said, it was very productive to see fraternities and sororities come out to help the community and to give to charitable organizations.

A lot of parents said this was the only Trick or Treat they would have because of how dangerous it can be, said Dustin Lewis, Activities Programming Board Vice President of Programming.