Sports in Brief

Chalk scores winning goal to keep Norse unbeaten ERIE, Pa. – Laurel Chalk snapped a 1-1 tie with a goal at the 78:33 mark Sunday to give the Northern Kentucky University women’s soccer team a 2-1 victory over Mercyhurst (Pa.) College. NKU, ranked No. 3 nationally in the NCAA Division II poll, improved to 4-0 with the victory. Mercyhurst, ranked 19th nationally in the NCAA Division II poll, dropped to 2-1. Mercyhurst took a 1-0 lead midway through the first half when Melissa Poliseno scored a goal off an assist from Cheryl Wright. NKU tied the match at the 36:09 mark when Ashley McGuffey scored her first collegiate goal by blasting in a shot from 30 yards out after a corner kick by Carey Hebbeler. The match remained tied until the 78:33 mark, when Stephanie Sandfoss placed the ball into the back post and Chalk finished the play with her first collegiate goal. The NKU defense held the Lakers scoreless the rest of the way, and the Norse posted the important road victory. Sandfoss, a graduate of Highlands High School, now has four assists this season. She leads NKU in scoring with 10 total points. NKU will return home this Friday night and play host to Tusculum (Tenn.) College at 7 p.m. at the Town ‘ Country Sports Complex in Wilder, Ky. The Norse will meet the nation’s top-ranked NCAA Division II team – Christian Brothers University – at 3 p.m. next Sunday at the Town ‘ Country Sports Complex.

Men’s soccer team captures first win of the season The N.K.U. men’s soccer team grabbed their first win of the season Saturday on the road against Missouri Southern State College. The Norse (1-1-1) scored in the first half on a goal by senior forward, Jeff Anderson who scored his second goal of the season with an assist by both Tony Becker and Randy Walters. Missouri Southern State College came right back, scoring just over four minutes later with a goal off the foot of Jeremy Brokate. The score remained tied at one apiece until the 64:33 mark when freshman, Nate McCall scored his first goal of the season to give the Norse a 2-1 lead, a score that eventually became the final. On Friday, September 20, the Norse return home to open their Great Lakes Valley Conference schedule when they face Southern Indiana at 5:30 at Town and Country in Wilder.

Women’s tennis streak ends at 51 matches HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Ky. – Gina Wohltman and Katy McKay won key singles matches Friday afternoon as the Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville women’s tennis team ended Northern Kentucky University’s Great Lakes Valley Conference win streak at 51 with a 6-3 victory over the Norse. NKU, the four-time defending champion of the GLVC, owned 51 consecutive victories against conference opponents going into Friday’s season opener. Prior to Friday, NKU had not lost to a GLVC foe since Oct. 11, 1997, when Lewis University posted a 5-4 win against the Norse during the GLVC Championships. Wohltman and McKay won the final two singles matches to clinch the victory for SIUE. The Cougars held a 4-3 lead going into those singles matches, and Wohltman sealed the win for SIUE with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory over Jessica Kirkpatrick. Elizabeth Brunsman posted a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles for NKU, while teammate Lindsay England defeated Keli Keener, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 4 singles. The Norse will host Saturday matches against Quincy University (9 a.m.) and the University of Missouri-St. Louis (3 p.m.).