Delta and Fidelty affected by attacks

Although planes were grounded and the stock markets were closed down Tuesday in reaction to the terrorist attacks, the Delta Air Lines’ and Fidelity Investments’ campus offices stayed open for business.

Bill Lamb, coordinator of Employee Relations at Northern Kentucky University, said the on-campus branches of Delta Air Lines and Fidelity Investments saw changes in business in light of the national crisis.

“Fidelity did not have much activity today because most of their clients were watching this on TV. Contrasting that, Delta was overwhelmed,” Lamb said.

Lamb said Delta asked employees to work overtime Tuesday and Wednesday to help handle the increased volume of phone traffic.

Bea Powell, supervisor of Delta Air Lines, said they are using employees trained on sales calls because of the high volume.

“We are trying to accommodate [customers] for tomorrow or future days. There’s not much more we can do today than that,” Powell.

Supervisors at NKU’s branch of Fidelity Investments declined to comment, but referred to a statement made by Fidelity’s corporate office:

“Any market orders placed after 4 p.m. ET on Sept. 10, 2001 will be canceled. You may enter limit orders to buy or sell securities, which will be executed as soon as practicable when the exchanges reopen, in accordance with exchange rules and regulations.”

The United States Securities and Exchange Commission closed the stock market following the attack on the World Trade Centers, located in New York City’s financial district.

“Given the risk to our employees and to the employees of our member firms, we felt it was best to close,” Harvey Pitt, chairman of the SEC, told Reuters Tuesday.

At press time, it was unclear if the financial district will be open on Wednesday, Sept. 12. The next official business day will open at the prices that were effective at the close of the day on Monday, September 10.