Webster’s play a bit of it all

Local cover band The Webster’s made their triumphant return Saturday to the place they played regularly for the last nine years, the Waterfront. Fueled by a very receptive and energetic crowd, the band played a little bit of everything in their three hour-long sets.

The band, as they normally do, showed their broad range of being able to cover songs from a variety of different genres. From The Cure to White Zombie, from INXS to Eminem, The Webster’s made sure there was a never a dull moment throughout the evening.

Saturday’s show was only the third time the band played in Cincinnati this summer.

In the past, The Webster’s normally played six shows a month here, including every Thursday at the Waterfront. According to bass player Karl Brinker, it was a welcome return.

“I love coming back and playing Cincinnati,” he said, “It’s nice to see familiar faces coming out to see us.”

Along with Brinker, The Webster’s features Quinn Bolton on vocals, Ryan Hensley on guitar and vocals, Dennis Belisle on keyboards and vocals, and Christian Green on drums.

Brinker said the band enjoyed coming back to the Waterfront, and may even consider playing there regularly next year.

“I think the atmosphere makes it a great place to play. The beautiful view and just being outside puts everybody in a good mood,” he said.

Fortunately for fans of the band or anyone interested in checking them out, The Webster’s will be back in Cincinnati a few times in the fall. So far, they have lined up shows at Longworth’s, Jefferson Hall, and Hops in Westchester.

Reaction from the crowd was very positive all night, and a couple fans in particular pointed out the diversity of The Webster’s that sets them apart from other cover bands in the area.

“They don’t limit themselves to one musical genre, and they’re very true to the music they cover,” said Annie Frye, a long-time Webster’s fan.

In addition to the diversity of their cover songs, the crowd was treated to a couple Webster’s originals, “Kiss Me” and “Hero Finito.”

Brinker said the band’s focus this fall will be more on rehearsing original material for their upcoming second CD.

“We’re about halfway there on the new CD,” he said, “and since we’re playing fewer gigs in the fall and winter, we’ll have more time to write and rehearse.”

As for now, look for The Webster’s in Cincinnati a few more times this fall and according to Brinker, much more often next spring and summer.