NKU remembers the horror

On Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001, Americans and the world watched in horror as two hijacked airplanes smashed into the World Trade Center, causing the twin towers to crumble and fall in a massive pile of debris.

Hundreds of miles away on the NKU campus, televisions were tuned into the events in New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Students, faculty and staff watched in disbelief as another plane crashed into the Pentagon, causing severe damage to a section of the building and killing many innocent people.

A third plane, believed to be heading for Washington D.C., crashed in a field killing everyone aboard.

In New York, rescuers worked around the clock desperately searching for survivors.

The days passed and hope began to dwindle for any signs of life under the pile of concrete and steel. Innocent men women and children lost their lives that day and changed the way the world looked at terrorism.

Almost immediately, Americans banded together to show their support for the victims and their families. Donations poured in from all over the world.

The Northerner staff worked all night to capture the events on paper.

Campus organizers worked quickly to assemble a support group.

NKU religious groups organized prayer services.

In classrooms, discussions centered around the attacks.

The Friday following the attack, a service on the Plaza drew the largest crowd ever seen at a university event. Thousands of students, faculty and staff participated. Many leaned on each other for support and comfort.

They will return a year later, Wednesday, Sept. 11, from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. for a memorial service, again on the Plaza near the Steely Library.

Thousands will gather to remember the attacks, the victims and the survivors.

As the anniversary approaches, members of Student Life anticipate high anxiety among students, and felt the need to create an event to remind everyone that despite the tragedy, Americans must be strong and remain united.

The September 11 Planning Committee, led by Kent Kelso, Dean of Students, and Tiffany Mayse, the Leadership Development Coordinator in Student Life and members of the Norse Leadership Society, as well as members of the community, faculty and staff, worked to commemorate the event.

“Most of us still have those emotions looming near the surface. I hope that we again gain strength and comfort from being together,” said Betty Mulkey, director of Student Life.

The service is expected to include bagpipe players, prayer, music and the laying of wreaths to honor fallen police, firefighters, victims and their families.