New power plant under way

Stacey Sutton

Just as one crew finished the construction of the Natural Science Center building, another crew broke ground on the most recent project, a new power plant.

The new power plant is the next step in the university’s Master Plan for the continued growth and expansion of NKU.

“As the university grows, the need for additional power will grow with each new building,” according to Chris Cole of University Communications.

“The existing plant area is very limited,” according to Henry Keene, university architect.

The new plant will provide the steam and chilled water essential to the heating and cooling needs of the new Natural Science Center, as well as projects planned for the future.

The “new plant will have capacity and space for growth,”Mr. Keene said.

Crews began work on the hill along University Drive July 25 and construction is expected to be complete by spring 2004.

In the meantime, the effect on students “should be minimal,” Mr. Keene said.

The only parking area effected by the project is Lot J, located behind the Applied Science and Technology building. Lot J, a faculty and staff parking area, had 38 parking spots removed. No other parking lots are effected by the construction.

The greatest impact of the new power plant will be the “continuation of critical services as NKU continues to grow,” Mr. Cole said.

The completed structure will be located behind the parking garage. According to Mr. Keene, it will be complimentary to existing campus buildings.

The project is expected to cost $12 million. It will be financed entirely by funds issued to the university by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, approved by the 2000 General Assembly.