Taste the world at potluck dinner

Every year around spring the International Student Union hosts a potluck dinner. This year’s dinner has a theme of “Citizens of the world”

“After 9-11 we wanted to show people we are all citizens of the world,” said Adam Widanski, program coordinator for International Student Affairs.

The dinner has been a big event for the International Student Union for over a decade. Maria Yanez, vice president and chair of the ISU explained how the potluck used to be at the University Center Ballroom, but now because of increased membership is is held in Regents Hall.

The organizers feel it is a way for international students to celebrate their culture and ethnicity with fellow American students. When asked what the ISU hopes to gain from the potluck Widanski said, ” We hope to bring community awareness and cultural awareness to the NKU campus.”

The ISU will provide entertainment of various forms including dances from Africa, Indonesia, India and Pakistan as well as Latin America and the Caribbean. Live music from Argentina, Africa and America will also be presented.

A kaftan, a sari and sarong will be exhibited in the fashion show the students will conduct at the end of the night. For the curious mind that would like to know what other people are wearing in other countries, this is the place to be.

Anyone who wishes to attend should bring a main dish to feed 10 people. A diverse array of food will be the highlight of the night, so start digging out those recipes and get ready to show off your talent as a world class chef.

The pot luck dinner will be on Saturday April 6. The event is open to all NKU students, staff and faculty who wish to attend. In the past this event has attracted as many as two hundred people in support of this organization.

This year they are expecting over 300 people to attend so reserve your tickets in advance.

This is a free event, but seating is limited so call the ISU and reserve your ticket (s).

Doors open at 4:30 p.m.. Come out and support the International Student Union.

“If you have reserved tickets you must come to International Student Affairs in UC room 366. The absolute last day for tickets is Thursday April 4. If the tickets are not picked up by Thursday we will assume you are not coming.” said Widanski.