Campus Closeup

Students take part in political dinner
To aid in the election campaign of two Kentuckians for Congress, six members of the College Republicans of Northern Kentucky University attended a fundraiser and banquet Saturday night for Sen. Mitch McConnell’s bid for re-election and Geoff Davis’s bid for a seat in the House of Representatives.
The fundraiser, which took place at the Drawbridge Inn on Buttermilk Pike helped bring attention to NKU, said member Noah Meeks. The six members who attended the fundraiser were Jennifer Gabbard, Noah Meeks, Andy Wells, Nathan Gilbert, James Pollitt, Aaron Crawford.

More Learning Communities to be available soon
The number of Learning Communities offered to first-time freshmen will be expanded from 39 to 43, and 13 will be focused toward particular student populations or based on a theme.
One will be a Social Justice learning community for students interested in racial, sexual and economic issues. Other communities will target latinos, adult students and students living in university housing. For more information, contact the Office of First-Year programs.

NKU in search of good host families
The International Student Exchange Program is looking for host-families to host students from around the world for a summer Language and Cultural Enrichment Program being held on Northern Kentucky University’s Highland Heights campus.
The students will be in classes studying English and American Culture, Monday through Friday, at NKU.
They will also be taking weekly day-long excursions to amusement parks, museums and other local centers, where host-families can join in.
Students in the program are fluent in English and come with spending money.
Host-families are only needed to provide room, board and help introduce and welcome students from around the world to the United States.
-Students will stay for 4-6 weeks (approximately between July 16, 2002 and August 16, 2002)
-They will be in class between 9:00 am – 4:00 pm on weekdays, car pools can be arranged
-Interested host-families need to fill out a short application form and have a home visit
To apply or for more information call Elea Mihou, Program Coordinator for ASSE International Student Exchange Programs, at 513-207-5239 or e-mail at mihou@nku.edu.

Changes improve life for disabled
Some changes in accessibility are in the works, according to Dale Adams, director of Disability Services. Adams said there was some money that is going to making these changes.
The upcoming changes include: adding a power door on the south side of the University Center and putted an assisted door on restrooms near BEP 110. Adams said a walkway is also being added from parking lot A.
“It takes off almost 150 feet of rolling,” he said.
Adams said they are currently in the process of coming up with budgets for next year.
He said that the high priority is making the computer labs accessible.
“We’ve also asked for other buttons on campus,” he said.