Sanders breaks double figure scoring record

Former Northern Kentucky University basketball star Brady Jackson held the record for most consecutive games scoring in double figures with 39.

The operative word is held.

Craig Sanders broke Jackson’s record by scoring 16 points in the 72-67 win over Lewis University, Feb. 2.

“I’m just glad it’s over,” said Sanders. “It was just another night, another game.”

It was just another game for Sanders, who has consistently averaged just under 20 points per game for the Norse. The only difference was the absence of head coach Ken Shields, who missed five games due to back problems.

“Coach Shields was watching the game on TV,” said Sanders. “He was one of the first people to congratulate me after breaking the record.”

Assistant coach Dave Bezold replaced Shields during his five game absences, guiding the Norse to a 3-2 record.

“Under Dave we had no major changes,” said Sanders. “He did a tremendous job in coach Shields’ absence.”

Now with coach Shields back at the helm, the Norse team is heading down the stretch with the mind-set of getting into the NCAA Division II Tournament.

“We have to finish up the season strong,” said Sanders. “We have to let it all out.”

Sanders will have to finish up the season strong, as well, if he plans on breaking the school’s all-time scoring record. A record that would mean more to Sanders than any other record he holds.

“I wasn’t coming here to break the scoring record,” said Sanders. “But it would be a nice accomplishment to get it.”

Sanders still has the regular season and the conference tournament to score 84 points and set a new record. He feels confident that it will be broken.

“There is no pressure,” he said. “I’ll break the record.”