Road trip leaves teams struggling

The Northern Kentucky University men’s and women’s basketball teams suffered setbacks in road games against the University of Southern Indiana Thursday.

The Norse men lost an offensive battle to the Screaming Eagles 99-90.

Both teams scored more than 50 points in the second half and both shot 51 percent from the field but Southern Indiana got the upper hand in the nine-point win.

NKU came into the game ranked seventh in the Great Lakes Region Poll and the Screaming Eagles were eighth.

Senior Carl Mitchell and junior Brenden Stowers each chipped in 20 points in the Norse defeat. Also, senior Craig Sanders continued his run of scoring in double figures as he came away with 17 points .

Southern Indiana was led by Cris Brunson, who scored 19 points and Ronnie Griffin , who contributed 18 points and 16 rebounds.

With the loss, NKU dropped to 12-5 overall and 8-3 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. The Screaming Eagles improved to 14-5 on the year and 8-5 in the GLVC.

As for the Lady Norse, they suffered their second, two-game losing streak of the year. The Lady Eagles scored 52 points in the first half of the game and cruised to a 93-74 victory.

Jessica Stuckman scored a game-high 35 points and added nine rebounds for Southern Indiana. Africa Sherrod also came up with 14 points.

NKU shot 51 percent from the field but only shot 1 for 10 from the three-point line.

Junior Amy Mobley scored 23 points and grabbed eight rebounds and senior Dana Schubeler added 21 points and 12 rebounds for the Norse. NKU junior Bridget Flanagan poured in 15 points as well.

The Norse were playing without All-American senior Michelle Cottrell for the second straight game and took their record to 0-2 without their star.

NKU, ranked No. 6 in the NCAA Division II Bulletin poll, dropped to an overall record of 13-4 (9-2 in the GLVC).

The Norse tried to get back on track on Saturday, as both NKU teams played a road game against the University of Missouri-St. Louis