Part-time program makes Master’s degree possible

A newly proposed Master’s degree program in Higher Education with an emphasis in Student Affairs has been negotiated between Northern Kentucky University and the University of Kentucky.

The program was designed to help recruit and retain entry and mid-level staff who wish to improve their credentials and seek positions of increasing responsibility.

“Until now there has not been a Master’s degree program of this nature in close proximity,” said Mark Shanley, vice president for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

People who wish to pursue a career in university administration are the target group for this new program. Currently, a person with a bachelor’s degree is unlikely to obtain anything more than an entry-level position in administration. This applies to people working in student activities, residence life and recruitment and admissions, to name a few.

The program is part-time, over a three-year period, and consists of 12 courses and an internship totaling 38 credit hours. Classes will be held at NKU and UK campuses.

As of now, fall semester classes will be held at NKU and taught by UK instructors. Spring semester classes will be held at the UK campus in Lexington, and although not finalized, summer semester classes will hopefully be held at NKU.

“Students will be enrolled on a cohort basis,” describes Shanley. “A group of 12-15 students will be together the entire three-year period of the program. They will function as a team.”

Due to the duration of the program, it will not be available again until 2005. In the fall of 2002, the first group of 12-15 students will begin. When the students are finished in 2005, another group of 12-15 students will start.

NKU President Jim Votruba says he is “very pleased” with the idea of the new program. “It allows student affairs professionals and others to pursue an advanced degree while employed, and is another example of the cooperation between Kentucky’s public universities.”

For more information and details contact Dr. Jeffery Bieber, Director of Graduate Studies, Dept. of Educational Policy Studies ‘ Evaluation, 145 Taylor Education Building, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506-0001. Also by phone or email at (859)257-2795 and jpbieb01@uky.edu.