Campus Closeup

Richard Boehne named NKU’s ‘Alumnus of the Year’
Richard A. Boehne, executive vice president of the E.W. Scripps Company in Cincinnati, was honored as the Northern Kentucky University 2001 “Alumnus of the Year” at the annual Alumni Awards Banquet on January 18 at the Cincinnati Airport Marriott.
The event recognizes superlative alumni and their achievements, as well as faculty members who have had a lasting impact on the lives of alumni.
Boehne has served as chair on many community organizations like the YMCA Camp Ernst major gifts campaign.
At NKU, he served on the executive board of the College of Professional Studies and Education in 2000-2001 and is a member of the University’s Comprehensive Campaign Committee. He also served the Business fund for Northern in 1992 and 1995.
“Few , if any of my professional goals would have been attainable without a college degree, NKU made that possible,” he said. “NKU is on a roll. It’s a huge thrill for those of us who remember the early days when that hilltop in Highland Heights still had more cows than college students.”
Other awards given out at the ceremony were NKU’s Strongest Influence Award for faculty presented to Dr. Barbara Thiel. Professional Achievement awards went to Dr. Gregory Anstead(’82) and Dr. Alex Letsch(’91).
Christ Burns (’86), organizer of NKU’s Alumni Lecture Series Committee and Bonnie Wheeler May, organizer of NKU’s Military History LectureSeries Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Steven Giles(’93) , a research associate at Tanglewood Research, Inc. in North Carolina will receive NKU’s Young Alumnus Award.

NKU gets transfer
Danielle Aldrich, who scored 10 goals and had five assists while playing women’s soccer at the University of South Florida the past two seasons, has transferred to Northern Kentucky University.
Aldrich, a 5-7 forward/midfielder, scored four goals and had three assists this past season for South Florida. Two years ago, Aldrich earned a spot on the freshman All-Conference Team after scoring six goals and adding two assists.

First homecoming prince and princess announced
For the first time in school history, NKU announced Homecoming princes and princesses to join its king and queen this year.
Four winners were named at the Homecoming game on Saturday, Jan. 19, two for each of the freshman and sophomore classes. The freshman royal couple was Patrick Reynolds from Pi Kappa Alpha and Shelley Heavrin from Delta Zeta. The sophomore couple was Jeff Iker of Alpha Tau Omega and Katie Walsh of Delta Zeta.
Candidates for the newly created positions were nominated by student organizations and had to be a full-time student with a GPA of 2.75 or higher.
An election by the student body was held on January 8-9 and the coronation took place at the Homecoming Pep Rally on Thursday, January 17 at the Albright Health Center.

Construction begins on Outdoor Recreation Complex
The first phase of the Outdoor Recreation Complex is under construction. This facility, which will include outdoor basketball courts and sand volley ball courts in a park-like environment, will be located near parking lot Q and the Residential Village. Construction will cost $208,900. This project was funded through a mix of institutional and private funds. The second phase of this project, construction of an outdoor shelter, will be bid on in the spring.

Dine with a professor
University Housing extends an invitation to any professor who wishes to dine with students at Norse Commons. University housing will provide free food for an opportunity to have students meet and talk with professors. The idea is to have each dinner or lunch feature professors from the same department so students can better know the faculty, said Sheila Murray, assistant director of University Housing.
“All studies show that quite a bit of learning can go on outside the classroom,” Murray said. “Developing relationships between students and professors is a big part of the learning process.”
Professors from the Anthropology department have already agreed to take part in the first meal with students, and Murray said she hopes this is the first of many to come. The only prerequisite, she said is that teachers give a weeks advance notice.