Hoxworth blood drive today in UC 108

Once again, a local organization is looking for blood from the Northern Kentucky University community. The Office of Student Life will hold a blood drive on Wednesday, Nov. 14 in the University Center, room 108.

With the holiday season just around the corner, more blood donations are needed, said Molly S. Hainrihar, consultant of donor recruitment and development of the Hoxworth Blood Center. She said traditionally during the holidays, the amount of donors dwindles and there is always an increase in the need for blood.

After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, there was a huge outpouring of support from the community to donate blood to the victims, she said. Because so much blood was donated nationally, much of the local donations stayed in the Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky area and benefited local hospitals. As a result, Hoxworth added new groups and first time donors.

“Due to so much support, our calendar is booked up to March or April. It’s very unusual,” said Hainrihar.

“It definitely made people aware that they can help someone in the community, they can donate blood.”

She said the center is now seeing a decline in people coming out to donate. The donations from NKU’s blood drive will help even though the holiday season has not yet begun, she said.

“We can actually store blood for 42 days,” explained Hainrihar. “We supply blood to 25 hospitals in southeast Indiana, Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati. Depending on the needs of the hospital, the blood is used in surgeries and for trauma, cancer and burn patients.”

Some requirements for donors are that all donors must furnish positive identification, be at least 17 years of age, weigh the minimum of 100 pounds and eat a good meal within four hours before donating.

For any questions concerning medications, immunizations or other medical concerns, call the Hoxworth’s Nursing department at (513) 558-1304 or 1-(800) 265-1515.

To donate blood, the Student Life office is taking appointments at 572-6514. Time slots are available from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2:15 to 4 p.m.

Julie Bridewell, student life secretary, said so far there have not been many sign-ups, but she expects there will be an increase as the blood drive date nears.

“People can walk in if there are open time slots,” said Bridewell. All students, faculty and staff are welcome to donate.