Campus Closeup

NKU student wins $100,000 On Dec. 18 when Northern Kentucky University student Jamie Rose, 21, decided to buy a Kentucky Powerball lottery ticket, she ended up $100,000 richer. Of the six numbers, Rose got all except the powerball. “I just had a hunch,” she said. “I play whenever I feel lucky, and for some reason I felt lucky.” Rose received a check of $68,500 after taxes were taken out. Rose said she plans on using some of the money to pay for tuition at NKU.

Student to work with Speaker Northern Kentucky University student Josh Wice, 22, of Edgewood, was one of two students statewide selected to intern with Kentucky Speaker of the House Jody Richards (D-Bowling Green) during the 2002 General Assembly session. Upon notice of his selection, Mr. Wice stated, “I am truly humbled to have this opportunity. Speaker Richards is an elected official who genuinely cares and works for every Kentuckian in every region of the Commonwealth. He also works very cooperatively with all of his colleagues in the legislature. I am going to learn so much.” Mr. Wice will graduate from Northern Kentucky University in May with a degree in Political Science and Criminal Justice.

NKU expands class offerings at airport Northern Kentucky University announced the school is expanding its course offerings at the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport to four beginning next month. With the expansion, students will eventually be able to complete all or most of their coursework for the Associate Degree in Aviation Administration at the airport. All NKU students pay in-state tuition for classes taught at the airport, which is approximately $118 per credit hour. Two kinds of classes will be offered at the airport: courses in Aviation Administration and general education courses that can be applied to almost any NKU degree. Anyone who has a high school diploma or GED is eligible to attend. The four classes beginning the week of January 7 are Aviation Marketing, History of Flight, Internation Politics and Elementary Spanish II. The instructors NKU lined up for these classes include: Charles Curran, senior vice president of marketing for COMAIR, Inc., who will teach theAviation Marketing class; Dr. Francois Le Roy, a full-time NKU professor, who will teach the History of Flight; Dr. Dean Minix, a expert on global politics and international terrorism, will teach the International Politics class; and Benson Wright, teacher, musician and songwriter will teach Elementary Spanish II. Call Barbara Hedges in NKU’s Office of Continuing Education at (859) 572-5601. Michelle Gwynne in Civic Orchestra Michelle Gwynne became a member of the Civic Orchestra of Chicago, training orchestra for the Chicago Symphony for the 2001-02 season in the Spring of 2001. Gwynne teaches harp and aurals skills for the music department at NKU. She is also taking classes at NKU to become certified to be a public elementary school music teacher. Gwynne has been on staff at NKU since 1987 and helped in making available the use of the Platner harp to NKU students in 1993. The post harpist for the Civic Orchestra of Chicago was achieved by an audition in March. Gwynne will be the Principal Harpist on all the concerts from January to May 2002.

Naturalist of the Year works at NKU Dr. John Thieret, professor emeritus of botan, was named Kentucky’s “Naturalist of the Year” for 2001 by the Kentucky Society of Natural History. The award was presented at the society’s October meeting at Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park In Robertson County.

Enrollment numbers posted At the end of the fall 2001 semester, the Office of Institutional Research posted to its web page a summary report on the offical enrollment for the semester. According to the Web site, the total enrollment was 12,548, 3.7 percent above the fall 2000 enrollment. The enrollment breaks down as 11,288 undergraduates, 884 graduate students and 376 in the Chase College of Law. To access the “Enrollment Summary”, go to ww.nku.edu/~oir/. Follow the link to “All Documents” and select “Enrollment Summaries.”