Who-Dos, WKRC to hoop it up for children’s camps

Television station WKRC Channel 12 and a Northern Kentucky University fraternity are playing basketball to raise money for children’s charities.

The Who-Dos,’ WKRC’s charity basketball team, and Phi Kappa Tau will shoot hoops on Saturday, Nov. 3 at 7:30 p.m. in Regents Hall to raise funds for The Hole in the Wall Gang Camps. This organization provides free summer camp programs for children with terminal diseases such as cancer or sickle cell anemia.

The fraternity has always sponsored the camps through service auctions and others fund-raisers. This is its first annual basketball game.

“We wanted to do something fun for the whole family,” Jason Maszor, PKT’s vice president of public relations, said. “It’s for the whole community.”

The roster for the Who-Do’s changes weekly, Brad Johansen, sports director for WKRC, said. Tim Hedrick, Mike Buresh, Dave Burchell and former athletes play frequently.

“We ask the charity to donate a little back to the Neediest Kids of All,” Johansen said. The Who-Dos’ have played charity games every year for the past 15 years and have raised more than $750,000 for NKOA.

PKT members from NKU as well as the Universities of Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown are playing. Math instructor, Scott Thompson, will also join the team.

Dennis Allen, human resources manager, will start the game by playing the national anthem on his saxophone. Halftime entertainment will include performances by NKU’s Dance team and a cheerleading competition between the four campus sororities.

Bill Jenkins, longtime member of PKT’s national chapter, will give a short presentation on The Hole in the Wall Gang Camps during halftime.

Actor Paul Newman provided the money to start the camps from the proceeds of his Newman’s Own products. Personal and corporate donations now fund the camps, which anticipate servicing over 1,000 children this summer.

Chris Allen, a member of PKT, attended a Who-Dos’ charity game eight years ago and arranged the Nov. 3 game.

PKT expects 500 people in attendance. Admission is $5 and free for children under 5. For information, contact Chris at mosauce1@aol.com

For more information on The Hole in the Wall Gang Camps, visit their Web site at www.holeinthewallgang.org/index2html