Career fair acts as a gateway for students

Picture above is a previous career event at NKU. The NKU Career Expo is Wednesday in the SU Ballroom.

Amanda Emerson

Amanda Emerson

Amanda Emerson, Contributor

Students and over 85 employers crowded the Student Union ballroom for two career fairs, Career Connections and Meet the Firms.

Students were able to explore internships and co-ops through these fairs, which occurred on Sept. 28, as well as business and accounting related opportunities.

Amanda Meeker, associate director of career services, feels that it is important for students to be able to meet employers and learn about the opportunities these companies can provide for them.

“It’s a great chance for any student who’s interested in gaining experience in their field within the next year or students who will be graduating within the next year and looking for employment,” said Meeker.

Julie Flohr will  graduate this December with a major in public relations. It’s important to get one’s feet wet, she thinks, and to look at what opportunities are out there for students after graduation.

Attending career fairs are important because there is more value when students are able to make connections with employers face to face, according to Flohr. 

NKU accounting major, Julie Kemp, will graduate in May. Kemp attended the Meet the Firms fair to gather information. She explored different companies that may have opportunities for both internships as well as full-time positions.

Kemp said that it’s important for students to both attend career fairs and to also come prepared beforehand by learning about some of the companies that will be in attendance.

Stan Dsouza, a fourth year entrepreneurship major, hopes to gain some experience that will help him succeed with a career in the future. Dsouza attended the career fair to explore what opportunities different companies offer in hopes to get his foot in the door in the future.

Oct. 5 will be the next career fair held in the Student Union. There will be over 85 employers for STEM-Nonprofit and Healthcare related employer opportunities. For more information stop by career services in UC 225 or visit:  http://careerservices.nku.edu/.

• Career fair acts as a gateway for students

Campus Events

At campus pro-life display, opinions split on Roe v. Wade

First-years showcased in ‘The Secret in the Wings’

Henry theatre brings the time warp back again

Norse-o-ween through campus

Favorite Halloween traditions have dark origins

Rapper Nelly postpones BB&T concert

REVIEW: No “Bad Times” found at El Royale

Documentary examines race in America then and now

Northerner earns three national Pinnacle Awards

Habitat hopes to impact lives