Valentine’s activities abundant in area

If your Valentine’s Day dinner usually ends in the blaring sound of the smoke detectors going off on account of your badly burned pot roast, then maybe a romantic evening at home isn’t the best option for you and your date. No worries – there will be plenty for the two of you to do around Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky come Feb. 14.

Cincinnati Observatory Center, $50/couple

One romantic option is to snuggle up and gaze at the starry sky at the Cincinnati Observatory Center in Mt. Lookout. From 7 – 9 p.m., they will be hosting a special event, in which couples can view the stars and planets through telescopes and then tour the historic building, all while enjoying music, drinks and sweets. Price is $50 for couple, and space is limited so reservations are required.

Dean Regas, outreach astronomer at the Observatory Center, said that their Valentine’s Day event would make for a unique and wonderful date. “The observatory center has a very romantic history….We had astronomers getting married here over a hundred years ago,” he said. “There’s just something about sitting under the stars that evokes romance.”

Carriage rides, prices vary

Couples can also gaze up at the night sky together as they ride in a horse-drawn carriage, courtesy of one the greater Cincinnati area’s carriage businesses. These include Carriage Occasions and Cincinnati Custom Carriages in downtown Cincinnati and Elegant Carriage in Covington, Ky. Reservations may be required.

Karen Thompson, manager of Carriage Occasions, recommends a horse-drawn carriage ride for couples who want something intimate and romantic for their Valentine’s Day celebration. “We provide our customers with a complimentary rose and box of chocolates, and we have heated blankets and radio in each carriage,” she said. “So couples can enjoy their ride while staying cozy and warm, eating sweets and listening to music.”

Ice skating, 2-for-1 admission price deal

If anyone is looking for something a little less leisurely and a little more lively, then they can come to Fountain Square for a night on the US Bank Ice Rink, where skaters will receive two-for-one admission price and skate rental from 7 – 9 p.m. In addition, they will have an opportunity to win a prize package including a dinner for two at Via Vite, opening night tickets to Broadway’s “West Side Story” and an evening stay at the downtown Hyatt with a complimentary breakfast for two the next morning.

Ballets and plays, prices vary

For arts lovers, there are plenty of shows going on around town on Feb. 14. Cincinnati Ballet, alongside the Cincinnati Symphony orchestra, will be performing “Romeo and Juliet” at 8 p.m., at the Aronoff Center for the Arts. Other on-stage productions to catch that night, while not quite in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, would be “Freud’s Last Session” at 7:30 p.m. at the Ensemble Theatre and “Abigail/1720” at 8 p.m. at Playhouse In The Park.

These are just a few of the options for couples looking for an entertaining night out in the greater Cincinnati area which includes more than just the typical dinner and a movie. Brittany Lindsey, an NKU senior, is among those who prefer to be a little on the unorthodox side when it comes to Valentine’s Day plans for her and her husband.

“I’m not sure what we’ll do this year, but in the past, we’ve gone to museums, gone rock climbing and have even taken strolls through cemeteries,” she said. “We like to celebrate Valentine’s Day in a way that’s definitely different than the average Thursday night, so that we can look back on it when we’re older and have fond memories.”