Greek Life adds not one, but two, additions

After an unsuccessful expansion for Sigma Alpha Epsilon Northern Kentucky University’s Interfraternal Council voted to extend an invitation to Theta Chi Fraternity to colonize a chapter at NKU.

NKU Greek Life has also invited Alpha Omicron Pi to join the sorority community this semester after Chi Omega abruptly ended their colonization process last spring.

“As the sorority community grows, we want to grow with them,” said Interfraternal Council President Jesse Wynne.

The official IFC vote was to “stack” extension. This means Theta Chi will begin colonization this semester and an additional fraternity Alpha Sigma Phi is projected to join the Greek community in the spring 2015 semester.

The extension process for Theta Chi is steps ahead of where Sigma Alpha Epsilon was, Wynne said.

SAE began recruiting in the spring 2012 semester. Due to a lack of numbers, the chapter was asked to end the colonization process in the fall of 2012.

According to Wynne, Theta Chi has a regional alumnus, Darick Brown, who is from the area and is prepared to help with the colonization process at NKU. His wife is also involved in AOII’s extension onto NKU’s campus this upcoming spring semester.

Kim Vance, assistant director of student life, said, Chris Ruth, a recent NKU graduate, will also be assisting in Theta Chi’s colonization. Ruth transferred to NKU from Ball State University where he was a Theta Chi.

“Chris has a familiarity with campus and our fraternity and sorority community,” Vance said.

Both fraternities have a similar plan in place for putting someone on the campus for an extended period of time to begin the recruitment process and develop the colony members, Vance said. She also explained the fraternities currently installed on campus are very committed to supporting Theta Chi as they begin their colonization.

“I’ve never seen this level of, what I would consider to be, support,” Vance said.

AOII was scheduled to start visiting campus this week to inform students about the sorority, but cancelled because the representatives had complications getting to campus, which left current Greek Life members to man the booth in the Student Union.

The colonization process for AOII to become an official sorority at NKU is Feb. 15-17. The process will include a mini-recruitment, according to Team AOII member and Greek Life member Chanell Karr.

In the meantime, both AOII and Theta Chi will be on campus next week in the Student Union during the lunch hour to inform and recruit interested and potential members.

As the university grows in numbers, Greek Life continues its growth as well. According to Vance, chapter sizes are becoming too big to be held in the facilities on campus.

Mary Osbourne, former Panhellenic president said the expansion of Greek Life shows more interest is being generated.

“Part of our mission is to create the best students, as Greek Life, and so the more students we can get involved, the more students’ lives we can change,” she said. “Expansion means we’re touching a few more people.”

“It’s a great opportunity because you get the chance to start your own thing. You get to make your own legacy. You get to make your own mark. And that is really cool,” Wynne said.