Campus bonfire spreads end of year cheer

The temperature outside may have been terribly low on Tuesday night, but spirits were still high at Campus Flood’s annual bonfire, held on Northern Kentucky University’s campus.

From 7-9 p.m., dozens of students gathered between parking lots L and Y across from Kenton Drive to socialize, drink hot chocolate and roast marshmallows around the tall, vivacious bonfire. The event was hosted by Campus Flood, a non-denominational ministry at NKU, and was open to anyone who wanted to attend.

This was the fourth year that Campus Flood had hosted the bonfire. Jacob Graham, a representative from the Family Worship Center in Wilder, Ky. and director of the campus ministry, said that the event was aimed at both raising awareness about the organization, and simply providing an enjoyable time for NKU students.

“You know, the bonfire isn’t just for the benefit of us in the group,” he said. “It’s also for everyone else on campus. We’re trying to help students who are need of some cheer, and hopefully, we can help to raise some hope in God.”

Those who attended the bonfire were not required to bring anything. Lawn chairs were provided by the group, and food and drink was all free of charge. Refreshments included hot chocolate, s’mores, apple cider, cookies and cupcakes.

Adam Ronnebaum, a senior and a member of Campus Flood, said the annual bonfires are very significant to the organization, as they are usually successful in generating a good deal of attention.

“Last year, I think we had about 100 people drifting in and out over the course of the night, so I’d say it definitely went well,” he said. “The bonfire is a great outreach activity for us, and it’s a big opportunity to attract more students and let people know a little more about who we are.”

Shelby Miller, a junior and Campus Flood member, added that open social events such as the bonfire allow participants in the group to extend their message beyond just those who are already members. “The message of our ministry, or our vision, you might say, is to revive hope in God,” she says. “By having people come together, we hope that we can spread the love of God.”

Campus Flood conducts other outreach activities throughout the year besides the bonfire. Members all meet once a month as a large group, and then twice more a month in smaller groups. At meetings, they discuss ways in which they can bond within the organization while providing services to their community. Some of the other outreach activities they have done in the past have included baking cookies and handing them out to residents in local apartment complexes, and volunteering to go door to door in NKU’s dorms, offering to take out students’ trash for them. These activities, Adam Ronnebaum says, provide group members with opportunities to inform people about their group, as well as to do something nice for others.

For more information about Campus Flood, email floodnku@gmail.com or visit the group’s profile on nku.orgsync.com.